Nikon Corporation will delight the world of photography with the latest addition to the telephoto zoom lens family: the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR. Compatible with the Nikon FX format, it covers the 70-200mm range of focal lengths with a fixed maximum aperture of f/4.
The AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR joins the ultra wide-angle AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR and normal zoom AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR in f/4 maximum aperture lens series that forms the core of NIKKOR FX-format lenses.
Despite covering the 70mm to 200mm range of focal lengths, it boasts a closest focusing distance of approximately one meter, as well as consistently superior rendering with focusing from infinity to close-up, making it an excellent lens for a wide variety of scenes. Its compact size and light weight make it portable, offering a practical choice for hand-held shooting wherever needed. It adopts a number of exclusive Nikon technologies including Nano Crystal Coat that prevents internal reflections that cause ghost and flare, a built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) system that provides camera shake compensation equivalent to a five-step increase in shutter speed, and a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing.
With the release of the new Nikon D4, Nikon D800 and D800E, and Nikon D600 FX-format digital-SLR cameras in 2012, Nikon continues to develop high-performance NIKKOR lenses that make the most of the superior resolution and image quality offered by these cameras. Nikon will continue to respond to the demands and expectations of the photographers for more advanced photographic capabilities by releasing highly functional, high-performance lenses to expand and strengthen the NIKKOR lineup.
• AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR primary features
- A 70-200mm telephoto zoom lens compatible with the FX format that offers consistently superior rendering with focusing from infinity to close-up.
- Built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) offering camera shake compensation equivalent to a five-step increase in shutter speed for effective hand-held shooting in a variety of situations.
- Nano Crystal Coat, which effectively prevents the internal reflections that cause ghost and flare.
- A Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing.
- Equipped with two focus modes: A/M (autofocus with manual override) and M (manual focus).
- Macro photography possible with a closest focusing distance of 1 m.
- Smaller and lighter than Nikon's previous 70-200mm lens, yet still capable of the superior image quality, performance, and overall quality expected of a NIKKOR lens.
- Autofocus supported when a teleconverter offering 2x magnification is used with the lens on a D4, D800, D800E, or D600 offering f/8 support.